Raw Vegan Brownies

Raw Vegan Brownies

Raw brownies… Why on earth have I not tried this out before? A while back I got a request to do this, but I have not had the time nor the ingredients to make it before now. Let me just say that I regret not making this sooner. Holy moly, this tastes freaking amazing! I will definitely have to start making more raw desserts, because not only is it completely healthy but also super easy to make and usually all you need is a freezer and some simple ingredients.

Raw Vegan Brownies

As most of you can tell by my other recipes, I am not exclusively a raw vegan but I do eat an unprocessed vegan diet with a lot of raw food in it. I estimate that I eat about 75% raw, but this varies from day to day. I also have at least 1 day a week where I do a small cleanse, by eating just fruit and vegetables. After including this in my weekly routine I have been feeling more energetic and my digestion has been functioning better than ever. For those who are interested in other raw recipes can see all my previous ones here.

Though this is my first raw brownie recipe I have ever made or even tasted, I can tell that it was entirely successful. It stays together perfectly, it is filled with chocolatey goodness, and it is not at all bitter. What else could you possibly want in a brownie recipe? Spread some of the Raw Vegan Icing on top before freezing it, and you have yourself a winner! I served it with some raspberry sauce according to this recipe and it made the dish completely perfect.

Raw Vegan Brownies

Ingredients, makes 6 large cake squares (1 small loaf pan):

• 1 cup walnuts or pecans (or a combination of both)
  • 1 heaped cup dates, pitted
  • 1/4 cup raw cacao (cocoa) powder
  • 2 tablespoons freshly made coconut butter
  • a pinch of maldon salt
  • 1/2 the recipe for Raw Chocolate Icing (optional, but super delicious)

Directions:

1. Place walnuts/pecans in a food processor and pulse until the nuts become small and crumbly. Add in the dates, and pulse again. Do this until the dough sticks together and the dates are thoroughly processed.

2. Add the remaining ingredients into the food processor, and pulse until the mixture is well combined yet still crumbly. It is very important that the dough is not too “buttery” (see picture below).

3. Place the crumbly dough into a small loaf pan/small cake pan, and press it down firmly using clean hands.

Raw Vegan Brownies

Raw Vegan Brownies

4. Coat it with about 1/2 the recipe for Raw Chocolate Icing, and spread it out evenly. Place it in the freezer for at least 1 hour before slicing it into 6 equally large squares (I ate one, which is why there are only 5 on the picture below hehe). Serve with this raspberry sauce if you want to go all out, and enjoy!

Raw Vegan Brownies

Raw Vegan Brownies

Raw Vegan Brownies

Raw Vegan Brownies

5. Store any left-overs/the brownie squares in the freezer and it holds nicely for at least a week. I recommend taking it out of the freezer for 15-60 minutes before serving it, and if you are serving it just one day later you might want to just store it in the refrigerator.

Raw Vegan Brownies

This is in many ways the perfect dessert to serve to non-rawfooders seeing as it tastes remarkably a lot like the sweet chocolatey desserts they are used to. You can even make this dessert days in advance as long as you store it in the fridge until you are planning to serve it!

I would love to hear what you thought of this recipe, and whether or not you liked it as much as we did.

2014 Update:

Due to heavy demand, an updated version of this recipe that does not call for any coconut butter can be found here!

Comments

1. Mirani says

So I bought a food processor yesterday and was so overjoyed to having one that I made a batch of these brownies at 10.30 at night!
    My mother has cancer and has to eat as healthily as possible, so that includes cutting out sugar. She was sooo happy to find she could still have Chocolate brownies! Thankyou Solvieg!

• says

I’m so glad the two of you liked it!

Trust me, the food processor will make your life so much easier! It is the best investment I have made in the kitchen so far. I have no clue what I would do without mine :D

2. Rach_the_vego says

Just made a batch after husband got the dates – had run out because I had made the other recipe with the rest of them!! and had yesterday made the coconut butter…..now in the freezer and can’t wait to try them over easter weekend for a treat. Sooooooooo quick – I think this one is going to be a keeper for when the mum’s and kids come over for play dates – we have one kid who is dairy and egg super allergic so always do vegan for when he comes – fortunately he’s ok with nuts.
    Thanks for the recipe!

• Rach_the_vego says

My husband and I just had one of them each…..wow they are brilliant. Gonna make another batch tomorrow I think so have a stash in the freezer. My husband could not believe what they have (or rather don’t have) in them!! Gonna check out your gingerbread recipe next. Thanks so much – have told lots of people about your site.

• Rach_the_vego says

actually ended up using your oreo recipe and modifying by the addition of various gingerbready spices to make chocolate gingerbread men which I decorated with various dried fruits / pumpkin seeds stuck on with a date icing I based on the chocolate icing recipe. Wish I had taken a picture – sold well at my son’s kindergarten disco cake stall especially useful for one little boy who was GF and couldn’t eat any of the other stuff.

Also did (not gluten free) vegan apple cakes which were basically homemade stewed apples (it’s the season here so have been to the orchard in the hills picking a few times with the kids already and always come home with a pile as they are so nice and very cheap) and flour (wholewheat SR) and baking powders. I iced these with the date icing too to give them some extra sweetness. They also sold well.

Served the brownies to my family (mum / dad / brother and his Girl friend) for dessert on friday when they came for dinner and they all loved them and couldn’t believe the ingredients and that they were not baked. Have tracked down some cocoa now (hopefully vegan though can’t be 100% sure yet) so will be able to keep on trying things – peanut butter one you posted with the nut crust and choc topping is going to be the next project. I put my brother’s girl friend on to your site too and she tried the black bean brownies which were good except she said a little beany but probably due to the fact she only had kidney beans and canellini beans which possibly have more taste than the black ones. Still a success…..fudgy she said…..hoping she saves me a sample. Only my immediate family (hubby and kids are vego) but the rest of my family are omnivores but they eat with me regularly so mostly like vego food and my experiments!

• says

All of that sounds amazing! I am so happy you and your family enjoyed the brownies too, it is certainly one of my favorite desserts. Too bad the black bean brownies did not live up to the standards, personally I have only tried it using black beans so you might have a point that other kind of beans may not be as good. Also I hope you enjoy the peanut, caramel and chocolate slices ;)

3. lenka says

I added cacao nibs for more crunch. Amazing ! thank you for sharing yummy, healthy food with the rest of us.

4. Alena says

These look great! wondering though, what would be a good substitute for coconut butter? I can’t have coconut, bothers me. So I was wondering what you would use instead if you have a good idea! thanks :)

5. says

I saw you liked my post on this recipe :) Glad you do! I swear these are the best brownies I’ve ever had, and that includes very many unhealthy sugary brownies ;-). Hope you understood some of my introduction of your blog (I basically said it’s fantastic, and you’re some kind of perfect genius, HA). Wouldn’t feel right to repost it without a lot of praise on your side. Keep going! X

• says

Haha, yes I loved reading it (at least what I understood from it) and your pictures were beautiful as well! Did you write it in dutch? Most Germanic languages are quite easy to see similarities between so I did understand quite a lot from it since I am Norwegian (and have several family members who are German) :) I am so happy to hear you enjoyed it and I am so flattered for the share and lovely comments!

Best wishes to you ;)

• says

Yep, I’m from Holland so it’s in Dutch. I’ve noticed the similarities too, I can often understand quite some parts from Scandinavian languages :) Thanks for the compliment!x

6. Sophie says

Just been looking through a lot of your recipes which all look amazingly yummy, but one problem, I hate dates. And I was wondering if this recipe as well as the other sweet recipes that use dates, taste anything like dates? :)

• Rach_the_vego says

Sophie….as a 3rd party who has tried lots of Soveig’s recipes over the last few months I would have to say that noone who I have given a taste to believes they are sweetened with dates…..I don’t hate dates but all I can say is that especially combined with cocoa / nuts / peanut butter etc….they just taste like something that is sweetened with sugar (except it is actually good for you).

• says

Like Rachel was kind enough to say, I always make sure that the recipes does not taste like dates. My father is in the exact same boat and he despises dates, yet he eats all of the desserts I make. I found that dates truly gives the most neutral tasting result, but you could in theory use raisins, prunes or figs instead. This will result in a weird after-taste though, so dates would always be my first option!

I hope you like the recipes you decide to try out and be sure to let me know if you ever have any other questions :)

7. Katie from Chicago says

Holy cow these were delicious! I am obsessed with this recipe. Tastes just like an incredibly rich, fudgey brownie! The icing is a must, so good. I’ll never make another icing recipe again. The only trouble I had was making the coconut butter. My poor food processor got very hot and I had to take several breaks. I’m sure that has more to do with the food processor than the recipe though. For this reason, I ended up leaving the coconut butter a little chunky and it worked fine in the recipe. Yum! Thanks!

8. Elise (from France) says

Oh my god ! That’s so good !
    This brownie is my first raw vegan cake and I love it :)
    Thank you for your recipes, all is amazing !

9. Miss J says

In the recipe you wrote cacao and then cocoa powder, and those are two very different things. Cacao powder is raw because it hasn’t been roasted, while cocoa powder isn’t raw, as it has been roasted.

10. Elise says

Strictly speaking, dates are full of sugar, people who need to care about sugar should go easy on these delicious bownies :)

11. Stef says

These were incredible. Everyone at my raw vegan party raved about them. Too bad I didn’t keep more for myself!

12. Samantha says

These are fantastic! I was looking for a soy-free, sugar-free brownie recipe and I am so glad I found your site. Just finished making these and the frosting, and they didn’t even make it to the freezer before one slice was missing.
    I did make one substitution based on what I had: my blender wouldn’t make coconut butter so I just used coconut oil instead. Too good! Thank you!

13. Jinny says

Yum, these were incredibly decadent. Only had a slither of one and was enough to satisfy my sweet tooth. Thanks

If you have any questions, feedback, or just want to say hi, leave it in the comment section below and I will get back to you as soon as time allows!