Real Superfoods | Why Oils Are NOT Healthy + Homemade Coconut Butter Recipe

Real Superfoods | Why Oils Are NOT Healthy + Homemade Coconut Butter Recipe

By now you might know that I do not like processed foods. Not one bit. After getting several questions on why I do not use oils, I decided to dedicate a separate post to this, because I do have a lot to say about it. Oils in my opinion is not good for you at all, and it does fall under the category of processed. I firmly believe that all oils are unhealthy, regardless if it is cold pressed, extra virgin or all of those things. Oils are purely 100% fat, without much fiber, vitamins or minerals and it is also the most calorie dense food on the planet! Essentially this makes oils a highly-processed, nutrient-poor food, which we can all agree on is not good for you.

But I heard that olive oil has lots of nutritional benefits?

If you actually look into the nutritional facts on olive oil vs. olives you get so much more bang for your buck by eating the olives. The oil is like I mentioned is 100% fat, whereas the actual olives contains fiber and more nutrients. Not only will that keep us fuller for longer, but also promote better health. Oils might be good to use as a hair mask or take a small dab on your skin if you have very dry skin, but consuming the oil cannot even compare to the benefits of eating the food in it’s original state .

Wait, what about the essential fatty acids?

Before you start ranting about the essential fatty acids, know that I am fully aware of the fact that we need fat in our diet, and I do in no way promote a completely fat-free diet. But if you actually looked into it you would know that there is no such thing as a fat-free diet, nor would we want it to be. All foods (even fruit and vegetables) have at least trace fat, which during the duration of the day that certainly adds up. If you are particularly worried about getting enough fat I recommend eating a lot of foods that naturally contain the essential fatty acids, such as nuts, seeds and avocado.

What can I use instead of oil then?

I do not want to completely crush your oil dream, and leave you with nothing to substitute it with. Say if you were making roasted potatoes, you can use low-sodium vegan vegetable broth instead of oil. Make sure you use enough to really cover the potatoes, combine that with a bunch of spices and seasoning, and pop it into the oven for about an hour at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Trust me you will not miss the oil one bit! If you are one of those who like to use oil as a spread you can always substitute it 1:1 for any kind of nut butter you wish (you can even make your own homemade using my recipe for Roasted Almond Butter). For those of you who are slightly butter-addicted I even included a brand new recipe below.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Homemade Coconut Butter

Real Superfoods | Why Oils Are NOT Healthy + Homemade Coconut Butter Recipe

Coconut oil has gotten a lot of attention lately, being considered a superfood. I disagree with that because I believe that there is something much better available, which is where the Homemade Coconut Butter comes in as a truer superfood. I wanted to find a way to make a coconut oil-like mixture that still harnesses the vitamins and minerals that coconuts actually contain. Made from only 1 ingredient, all you need is unsweetened shredded coconut (certified raw if you wish), a good food processor and a little bit of patience.

Ingredients:

• 450g unsweetened shredded coconut (more or less depending on the size of your food processor)

Directions:

1. Place the unsweetened shredded coconut into the food processor.

Real Superfoods | Why Oils Are NOT Healthy + Homemade Coconut Butter Recipe

2. Let the food processor run for anywhere from 15-30 minutes, or until you have a completely smooth butter.

Real Superfoods | Why Oils Are NOT Healthy + Homemade Coconut Butter Recipe

Real Superfoods | Why Oils Are NOT Healthy + Homemade Coconut Butter Recipe

3. Store in a jar at room temperature (do not refrigerate!), as it will thicken when it sits for a while.

Real Superfoods | Why Oils Are NOT Healthy + Homemade Coconut Butter Recipe

I have found that if I use too little shredded coconut it is next to impossible to make a smooth coconut butter, and if I use too much it takes quite a long while for it to get done. However from personal experience it is better to use too much rather than too little! My food processor is medium sized, and 450g seems to be the smallest amount it is able to take. Alter the amount you use depending on your food processor.

Benefits of eating coconut butter as opposed to coconut oil:

• The coconut butter gives you the whole coconut nutrition, including: oil, dietary fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals. Make it from scratch and it contains no additives whatsoever —only pure coconut.

To avoid being accused of being “uncertified” to write about this as I am not a doctor or nutritionist, here is a list of doctors, nutritionists and people within the medical field that promote oil-free diets and instead eating fats in it’s original form:

Dr. John McDougall, Dr. Joel Fuhrman, Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, Dr. Dean Ornish, Dr. Neal Barnard, T. Colin Campbell, Rip Essetlyn, Jeff Novick, and many others.

(copied from Happy Herbivore’s article)

Hopefully this answered the question as to why I do not use oil in my recipes, or recommend anyone to do so. Keep in mind that this is simply my opinion, and you are more than welcome to disagree with me. In fact when my father (the avid olive oil user) read this article he started a 1 hour long discussion in my house, which I simply thrive on. Feel free to leave me a comment letting me know your opinion on this matter, but keep it civil.

All articles in the Real Superfoods series can be found here!

Comments

1. Bård Kjelling says

Hei,
    Kjempebra post! Godt å se at det fins andre i Norge som har skjønt dette med helsen i uprosessert plantekost, og hvordan olje ikke er ment å brukes i mat. Det er ganske latterlig (og trist) å se hvor forvirret man kan gjøre seg med tanke på kosthold.

Og forøvrig, bloggen er kjempeflott!

Heihei,
      Først og fremst tusen takk for kommentaren! Kunne ikke vært mer enig i det du sier ang. Norge. Kan tenke meg at under “smør-krisen” rett før jul i fjor var du vel like oppgitt som meg? For å si det sånn, så kan jeg likevel se hvordan folk kan tro at oliven olje er sunt ettersom kompaniene som selger dette har hatt et immari godt reklame-team.

• says

Såå glad att jag läste detta!
        Dels för oljans skull (ä’ven om jag själv inte använder olja men bra att veta!)
        Och sen för att jag inte visste att det va så lätt att göra eget coconutbutter!! =)

• says

That is the only reason why I refrain from it. However it does solidify anyways so if you are planning on saving it for an extended period of time, perhaps storing it in the fridge is wise. I always finish a batch off within a week, therefore keeping it at room temperature is preferable!

2. Anna says

Hi Solveig!
    I just stumbled upon your website and am really impressed! I’ve been vegan for a while now, dabbled in being gluten free and am just now trying to cut oils out of my diet. I am interested in making my own nut butters.
    What kind of food processor do you have?

Hi there Anna!

I am so glad you find my site to your liking. I hope you truly enjoy every recipe you decide to try out!

Just last month I splurged on getting a top-quality food processor (as a Christmas gift to myself, haha), and I have not regretted the investment a second. It makes the process of making nut butters incredibly easy, and the food processor itself is not too much of a hassle to clean. No need to worry about it over-heating or shutting down! I bought mine through amazon.com, and right now they have it at almost half price. I really wish that came before I bought mine hehe, since it cost 180$ then as opposed to 99$. If you want the exact same you can even buy it through my site (http://www.gluten-free-vegan-girl.com/store-php). You will find it under kitchen equipment, where I add in the kitchen equipment I use and recommend :)

Another option would be to get a Vitamix blender. It makes nut butter even faster but you will have to scrape down the edges a few times during. It is a worth investment if you make daily smoothies and such as well, but personally I prefer using a food processor 90% of the time (a lot easier to clean).

I hope this helped and best wishes to you!
      – Solveig

3. Andrea says

I spray a little olive oil on a pan when I’m cooking eggs so it won’t stick. What’s a healthy alternative I can use that won’t make foods stick?

• says

Well I am not exactly an expert on egg cooking (and I really do not consider eggs to be healthy) but whenever I am roasting vegetables in a pan, I never need anything. I have a high-quality non-stick pan which needs no added fats in order to prevent sticking. I suggest you invest in that!

Otherwise you can use a tablespoon of water before the pan has is heated, so that it doesn’t just evaporate right away.

Hope that helped!

• fruitopia says

I agree, good quality ceramic pans are a great investment for oil-free cooking. But the cholesterol in eggs kind of negates the point in being oil free a bit…not to mention the animal welfare and environmental concerns

4. mariolys says

is there any diffrence on the process if ido it with actual grated coconut direct from the coconut itself?
    Im from dominican republic, so we have coconut like water here.

• says

I am happy to hear that you like the recipe Mariolys!

As for your question, I am pretty sure that using just grated coconut would not work. The reason why I think this is because if the food processor I am using to make the coconut butter is even the slightest bit damp it never works. I suppose if you have a dehydrator (or you find a recipe that shows how to dehydrate grated coconut using an oven) it should work perfectly! Just make sure that it is completely dry when you attempt making this :)

• says

That is kind of tricky to answer without seeing the recipe for my self. Usually you cannot substitute it using the same ratio, due to oil being a lot thinner. I am planning on making a healthy recipe for rice crispy treats in the near future, where I think I will use a combination of date syrup and coconut butter as my liquid. I have of course not tried this out yet, so I cannot guarantee how the result will be. By all means do try it out, using slightly more coconut butter, but I am pretty certain that it will NOT work unless you do some other alterations as well!

5. Jane P says

Thanks so much for your reply. I will play around with it & let you know what happens. I’ll be looking forward to hear how your idea comes out in the future as well!

6. bsooma says

how can i know is this unsweetened shredded coconut organic or raw or healthy? please tell me
    and thanks u

• says

If I understand your question correctly, you need to just read the package you buy properly. Most of them are unsweetened, but if you want it to be raw too you will probably have to buy it certified from a health food store. Hope this answered your question!

7. Brianna says

Another interesting fact about olive oil, is that for individuals who don’t live in the EU, Olive Oil trade is not regulated as strictly, and so often times people are defrauded with a poor-grade olive oil, or even just hazelnut oil instead. In North America, we cannot trust that the olive oil here is legitimate.

8. says

Så vaddå? Använder du ENDAST kokosflingor??! Så enkelt?! =)
    I så fall MÅSTE jag ju testa! Men använder du det som “smör” på mackan eller?
    Stelnar det verkligen till i rumstemperartur?

• says

Yup, bare kokosflak! Det er utrolig lett å lage, så sant du har en god food processor eller high-speed blender. Også er det så godt! Den kan lett brukes som smør på brødskive og slikt når den er helt fersk lagd, eller lagt i vannbad. Det blir helt hard når den står i romtemperatur, det bare etter en times tid. Det jeg gjør for å “smelte” den før bruk er å oppbevare den i en liten krukke med lokk, legge krokken i en stor kopp og helle kokende vann opp til kanten. La det sitte i 5-10 minutter så er blir det helt flytende igjen! ;)

• says

Det er veldig sjeldent jeg steker mat i pannen som trenger noe for at det ikke skal bli svidd. Det eneste jeg kan tenke på som kan relateres med det er når jeg lager pannekaker eller bare stekte grønnsaker. Jeg har investert i en høy-kvalitets non-stick stekepanne hvor man rett og slett ikke trenger å tilsette noe fett for å unngå at det setter seg fast! Hvis jeg bruker vaffeljernet trenger jeg kun å pensle med litt smeltet kokossmør :)

9. Elizabeth says

I am making your blueberry lemon cheesecake recipe this weekend. Yesterday, I made the coconut butter and it has turned into a hard solid. Is this normal? Can I heat it up to soften it?

• says

Yes, this is completely normal. It will become completely solid after just a few hours at room temperature. Before adding it into any recipes, you will have to turn it back into the liquid state. The best way to soften it is to store the coconut butter in an airtight container, place it in a large bowl and cover with enough boiling water to cover the container completely. Cover this with a plate or kitchen towel to preserve as much heat as possible and let this sit for 10 minutes. Remove the “lid” and voilá, the coconut butter will be completely moist again ^^ I hope you like the cheesecake!

10. priscilla says

I just found your blog and I cannot believe you are only 17! You are much wiser than your years. Anyhow, your recipes and the look of your blog look scrumptious! I am just starting to make them and coconut butter is step one. So how long can one batch of coconut butter keep? Also, a lot of your recipes safe “freshly made coconut butter”, does that mean I have to have JUST made it and I can’t use some that I made a few days ago?
    Thanks!

Hiya there,

First off, thank you so much for your lovely comment! As for your questions, coconut butter will keep at room temperature for at least 1 week (but I have sometimes left it up to 2 weeks without any problems). When a recipe calls for freshly made coconut butter, it is basically the same as melted coconut butter. After coconut butter is made and left for a few hours, it will solidify completely. There are several ways to bring it back to it’s liquidized state, the easiest is by placing the coconut butter in an airtight container, place it in a large bowl and cover with enough boiling water to cover the container completely. Cover this with a plate or kitchen towel to preserve as much heat as possible and let this sit for 10 minutes. Once you remove the lid, the coconut butter will be just like fresh again!

I hope this helped and let me know if you have any further questions ;)

11. Franzi says

Hi Solveig,Finally the ‘food professor’ arrived and the first thing to cut was a piece out of my finger while cleaning it(stupid me) but the first try making coconut butter tourned out very good,even if it took about 40 minutes…can’t wait to use it. Would you please tell me a few options to use it?! Thank you so much!!!

Hiya there!

Ouchie, I did the exact same thing with my hand blender.. Definitely not good! Professors can be tough like that ;)

A way to speed up the process is by double checking that you are using the right amount of shredded coconut, according to the size of the food processor. The larger it is, the more you need to use. I have also found that when I am making smaller doses of coconut butter, I can even do it using a hand blender! I simply add about 1/2 – 1 cup shredded coconut into a narrow jar and start blending. This creates a very small dose, but never takes longer than 5 minutes!

The best way of using coconut butter is in my opinion in recipes (or on warm waffles, pancakes or toast. Yum!). Most of the desserts where I use coconut butter, happen to be completely raw vegan as well. My favorites on this site includes:

Raw Vegan Coconut Lemon Bars – http://www.gluten-free-vegan-girl.com/2013/04/raw-vegan-coconut-lemon-bars.html

Raw Vegan Chocolate Truffles – http://www.gluten-free-vegan-girl.com/2012/08/raw-vegan-chocolate-truffles.html

Raw Vegan Lemon Layered Blueberry Cheesecake – http://www.gluten-free-vegan-girl.com/2013/01/raw-vegan-blueberry-cheese-cake.html

Like you might have read in the above comments, the coconut butter will solidify completely after it is made, so you need to soften it up before use. You can read above for some ways to do this!

I hope you found this helpful and be sure to let me know what you decide to use it for!

Best wishes,
      Solveig.

12. Franzi says

Thanks for this very informative reply. Hopefully everything can bei used aß long as it is fresh.
    Next time I’l try the “single cocobutter” with the hand bleder…although my(of course not vegan) boyfriend liked it in toast with strawberry jam :-)

13. Kim Hawkins says

Solveig I can’t thank you enough for this recipe. I was so frustrated by recipes calling for coconut oil (which for some reason has a healthy reputation) now I use this! I am also going to try using blended whole olives when a recipe calls for olive oil, and see how that works…why not? My hubby & I strive to eat healthy, vegan whole foods. (Gluten is not a problem for us, but it never hurts to eat a wide variety of foods.)

What do you use in lieu of eggs? I generally use flaxseed eggs, or chia gel, and occasionally en-r-g egg replacer.

• says

That’s awesome, I am so happy to hear you are enjoying the recipe!

Since most of the time when a recipe calls for eggs it is to hold the dish together (generally in baking/desserts), I use blended dates, raisins or apricots. It is kind of genius really, the dates adds sweetness and helps hold the dish together, while working as a substitute for butter, sugar and eggs all at once! Flax / chia eggs are also a great alternative :)

14. Eva van Ammers says

I use coconut oil as deodorant and sometimes as lip balm, how do you think about that? Do you use ‘normal’ products as deodorant or do you have a more natural alternative?

• says

I buy an all-natural vegan crystal deodorant from my local health-food store, but using coconut oil sounds like a great idea too. I only mean that I believe eating oils cause more harm than good, but using it as a lip balm, hair product or what have you is definitely beneficial!

15. Yen says

Hi, Solveig! May I know, are you using coconut butter for cooking vegetables in your daily meal? Or you do not use any butters added to your lunch or dinner? Thanks in advance.

Hi there,
      Usually I just eat my vegetables raw, but when I want them cooked I either steam or dry-roast them (in a non-stick pan). My little sister loves eating baked potatoes with a dollop of soft coconut butter so that is always an option! Mostly I only use nut butters in recipes since I hardly eat any bread. I do love eating apple slices with peanut/almond/coconut butter for a snack though! ;)

16. Robin says

hi there
    I haven’t seen amyone ask this yet (I think) What do you use this coconut butter for? Sauteing? Salad dressings? An oil subsitute for recipes? Love this article. Thanks for posting.
    Robin

17. keeley says

Hi, is shredded the same as dessicated? I can’t find any shredded but bought fresh coconut before seeing your previous comment about fresh coconut probably not working.
    Keeley

18. Suvi says

Hi there! Few weeks ago, i found out that i have gluten intolerance and i want to be really badly vegan, but the only problem is that my mom won’t accept it, but i try to make it work. I’m trying to make my own meal plan (so i make sure i’ll get enough of nutrients) and it’s kinda hard to make up some breakfast, since i’m used to eating such as bread and oatmeal for breakfast (i can barely find gluten free oats here), but your recipes are great! I’m making blueberry lemon cheesecake for my birthday (my birthday is on July 9th, celebration on saturday 13th) and i’ve seen so many great comments about it, so i can’t wait to do it! Keep up with a good work ^^ Love from Finland

• says

omg, I’m in the exact same position! I just found out that I’m gluten intolerant and I’m trying to be vegan. (or at least eat much more fruits and veggies) but it’s very difficult because of my family who doesn’t believe in being vegan/vegetarian. I often cook my own food, and I try to teach my family to be healthier. I hope it’ll get better when I get my own place.

btw, love this blog, it’s such an inspiration!

love from Finland :)

19. Tzivia says

Hi I just found your blog via Pinterest. My husband and I have been following an oil free vegan diet for two years now (via Dr Esselstyn) and our health has skyrocketed. Even our doctor is excited. I have modified a lot of my own recipes to fit the diet and am really happy to have found a kindred eating spirit with some really good recipes:) I am excited to try the “coconut butter”.
    Tzivia

20. Sara says

Hey, I love this recipe, but I thought you should know that when you put food into a food processor/blender, you are actually destroying the fiber content. While your coconut butter is still probably better than coconut oil, it does not have all the same benefits/nutrients as whole coconut, as when you mess with the natural structure of the food (especially to the point where you are changing the state that it was originally in-solid to liquid), you mess with the nutrition of it as well.

21. Celine says

Hei, jeg lurer på en ting og håper du kan svare: jeg har kjøpt en kokosolje på en innvandrerbutikk med merket KTC hvor det står på ingredienslisten at det er 100% pure coconut. Men saken er at jeg tror oljen er raffinert. Er det farlig for meg? Og så lurer jeg på om det spiller noen rolle om oljen er raffinert eller ikke når man skal bruke den i oppvarmede “”tilstander” (balkong i ovn, steking). Hadde vært evig takknemlig om du hadde forklart meg dette! Jeg vil gjerne bruke det jeg har kjøpt, men er det farlig?

22. Brody says

Hi great site, just wanted to know about using the food processor does it heat the coconut past 42c, as for a raw food diet nothing is heated past 42c to keep all the great nutrition benefits.

• says

I am so happy to hear you are enjoying the site! Sadly I have no idea how heated the coconut gets but, considering it goes through the exact same processing as any other raw nut butters, I would assume it’s fine!

• fruitopia says

42’C is the exact same temperature as the human pain threshold. So, if the coconut butter is uncomfortable to touch, it is not raw – but I can’t see that happening in a food processor!

23. Becca says

Just found your blog, love it! Keep up the good work! So, can I substitute coconut butter for coconut oil? I make a lot of raw desserts and bake loaves of banana bread weekly for my kiddos. My bread recipe calls for a 1/4 cup of coconut oil, would the butter work as well? Thanks!

• says

It really depends on the recipe. Usually I can get away with substituting it directly, with a few exceptions. For example, if the coconut oil are used to make raw chocolate, coconut butter would not have the same effect! You can however always use coconut butter as a substitute for other nut butters :)

24. Stelladeli says

I should inform you, though, that olive oil IS the healthiest oil in its raw state (not when it’s cooked). That’s why it is best for salad dressings or to pour into food raw. Coconut oil is the healthiest when it comes to cooking because it’s more stable than olive oil. I’m not a fan of oils myself, I use them sparingly and prefer the natural source (eg. olives), but just a reasonably small amount of olive oil in your diet is a must! Even the Mediterranean diet itself requires frequent consumption of olive oil but in moderate amounts (not cups! that many people wrongfully use, but teaspoons/tablespoons).

• fruitopia says

Oil is not a “must” in any diet. No other animal eats oil, many people don’t eat oil (and we wouldn’t eat it naturally) and we can get all the essential fats we need from berries, nuts, seeds and leaves. In my opinion a moderate amount of unrefined oils won’t hurt, but I respect the opinion of those who don’t want to eat oil and I would never insist to them that it’s compulsory, for either health or enjoyment of certain cuisines.

25. Laura Dickason says

Hi Solveig, I am going to make a your chocolate cake recipe, which calls for some of this. I made some last week and kept it at room temperature. However, as it is winter in Australia, it has gone practically solid. Should I heat it before using? If so, should I heat it in the microwave?

• says

Hi there! The coconut butter will be completely solid no matter what the temperature is, so that is completely normal :)

To melt it, simply place the coconut butter in an airtight container. Fill a bowl up with boiling water and place the container in it. Cover with a plate or a towel, and allow for it to sit for 5-10 minutes. Then it should be moist again! :D

26. says

Hi Solveig,

We are trying to make the coconut butter right now, and wondered if the food processor automatically takes the coconut from the side of the processor, or do we need to open it up and take the food off with a spatula or spoon? We have never made anything like this before and our food processor is not a large one. If you have any tips, it would be appreciated. Thanks so much — my daughter and I are enjoying your blog a lot! :)

27. says

P.S. We DID IT! :D My daughter got the food processor to work and with a little adjustment, she was able to get it all done. That was last night. This morning — we have a jar of solidified coconut butter!!! WOW! THANK YOU!! :D

28. says

Dette var HELT nytt for meg! * jaw drops* Jeg har hatt atopisk hud på ben, hofter og armer siden jeg var baby, og for første gang i livet mitt er den myk som en babyrumpe (en babyrumpe uten atopisk hud), og helt uten kløe – dette etter at jeg begynte å spise 1-2 spiseskjeer med kokosolje om dagen. Vil kokossmør gi meg samme effekt?

29. Michele says

What do you use the coconut butter for? can you just eat it in the place of almond butter? How do you cook with it?

30. Sara says

About the food processor-
    I also live in EU.
    Could you buy it from Amazon with the right plug?
    Did shipping cost a lot?

• says

Sadly you will get a different plug and will therefore have to use an adapter to get it to work in Europe! Shipping is incredibly expensive in Norway, but in other countries; not so much. You can always go to any high quality store which sells kitchen appliances, and buy a different brand if that is easier ;)

31. fruitopia says

In certain recipes, depending on want the “oil” is needed for, you may be able to substitute blended young coconut meat. Young coconut meat is more watery and much lower in fat than mature coconut meat. Young coconut also contain about 2 cups of nutritious water to drink.

32. Michael says

Hello,

I don’t have a food processor, can I use my vitamix to make coconut butter?
    Secondly, where to find certified raw unsweetened coconut flakes?

Thanks,
    Michael.

33. says

Hello, I opened and fresh brown coconut last night, cleaned the fruit and it measured about 2 cups. I have a small food processor and a vitamix. I started out in the food processor and after about an hour it was still just shredded coconut like in the second picture you have here. I moved it over to the vitamix and it started turning into a paste but still after over an hour of tamping, blending and scrapping it was a paste with fine fibers not a butter. It was very dry so I added some of the coconut water back in, that seemed to help a bit. By this time it was quite late so I did refrigerate it. I will be putting it back into the food processor tonight or tomorrow night after work. Do you have any suggestions? It smells really great and I am tempted to make coconut milk out of if it does not turn into butter. Thanks for your help!
    Onnie

34. T. says

Hey Vegan Girl,

I absolutely love your blog and your recipes, but this is one post which I really can’t agree with. It should be clear that consuming oil and oil alone is not good for anyone — but this is a quite extreme case and clearly does not make a good argument. I don’t really see a reason though why one shouldn’t add some oil to flavour and enrich the food — and I really don’t see how it is bad for your health.

And some factual comments:

– You criticise processed food and yet your coconut butter itself is processed food. How does this even make sense?

– Coconut fat is among the natural substances with highest amount of saturated fats — which have clinically been linked to coronary deceases and cancer; and your coconut butter is around 70% coconut fat. Now, regular consumption of that stuff is REALLY not good for you. Its quite funny actually, because coconut oil used to be very popular few decades ago, then its consumption dropped (because of health concerns) and now for some reason it seem to be fashionable again. I would recommend high-quality olive, peanut and sesame oil — they are healthier alternatives which mostly contain unsaturated fats. And you can also make something like butter of of most of that stuff in your mixer if you like.

Best

t.

35. Ida Øyvik says

Hei :-) noe jeg sliter litt med som nybegynner er å finne alle disse matvarene som skal brukes i oppskriftene dine? Hadde vært fint å vite litt om hva slags steder du kjøper mye av maten. :-) fordi når jeg går på matbutikken og ser prisen på feks kokos, kokosmelk, nøtter osv tenker jeg bare at dette er veldig vanskelig.

36. Caro says

It’s interesting to read your take on not consuming oils as I belong to a nutrition group on LinkedIn and a doctor recently posted a very detailed scientific report on the dangers of taking fish oil supplements. I was so shocked as I was taking these each day, have stopped now and will just have chia seeds & flax seeds instead. I’m not vegan but do eat gluten free and enjoy vegan food. He too recommended not consuming oils and just getting fats from foods. I love shredded coconut and it’s so good for you… just dried coconut no added nasties! Thanks for sharing this butter. Will try it out.

37. Nina says

Hi Solveig, Really enjoying reading about your desserts. We have the 3 layer slices in freezer right now. Was wondering what you thought of nutritional yeast. You have such a good grasp of what is healthy. Been reading Dr. Russell Blaylock and neurotoxins and how all those MSG like foods, autolyzed yeast, hydrolyzed soy protein, yeast extract, etc. are all toxins which impact the brain, including nutritional yeast. Thanks for a really fun site. We are inspired by your creativity and simplicity in ingredients and recipes.

If you have any questions, feedback, or just want to say hi, leave it in the comment section below and I will get back to you as soon as time allows!