Homemade Roasted Almond Butter

Homemade Roasted Almond Butter

My latest addiction? Almond butter. Seriously, this must be the best thing on earth. I can literally eat it straight out of the jar with a spoon, that is how much I love it. Naturally you can use this exact same procedure for any kind on nuts you wish, but some is definitely tastier then others. For some reason I really want to try out making pecan butter, as I think that would taste absolutely amazing.

Homemade Roasted Almond Butter

This is far from my first try making almond butter. I have tried making it raw several times to no avail. All in all I must have spent several hours standing in front of my beloved food processor, scraping down the sides in hopes of getting that smooth delicious consistency. It never worked. If you manage to make raw almond butter then more power to you, but if this is your first try I recommend roasting the almonds first. I think this is because when roasted, almonds (like all nuts) starts to give out a bit of oil making it a lot easier to work with.

I really wanted to utilize the left-over almond pulp that remains after making Homemade Raw Almond Milk, and it actually worked perfectly! Just make sure you roast it properly to remove all the liquid before attempting this.

Homemade Roasted Almond Butter

The best part about this recipe is without a doubt that you end up saving so much money by making it from scratch. Here in Norway you can easily end up paying around 8 $ for just one liter of almond milk. If you want to buy a small jar of almond butter you have to be prepared to fork up about 10-15 $. Yes, it really is that expensive… However if you find a store that sells almonds in bulk, you can get both one liter of almond milk and a small jar of almond butter for the meager price of 4-6 $. Yay for saving money!

Homemade Roasted Almond Butter

Homemade Roasted Almond Butter

Homemade Roasted Almond Butter

makes about 2 cups

Ingredients:

• 2 cups almonds (or left-over almond pulp from making almond milk)
  • a pinch of maldon salt

Directions:

1. Spread almonds (or almond pulp) out on a baking tray lined with parchment, and dry-roast them in the oven at 200 degrees Celsius/390 degrees Fahrenheit. Stir every 5 minute or so and take them out when they are golden brown, usually this takes about 15 minutes. If you are using the almond pulp from the almond milk recipe it might take a few minutes more, and it is vital that they are completely dry before you take them out of the oven!

2. Place the roasted almonds into a food processor and get working. Make sure that you let them cool completely before proceeding to this step, as any steam will make it harder to process. Also keep in mind that making nut butters take a lot of time, the exact amount depending on how good your food processor is. It is however incredibly important that you do not get impatient and add in any liquids! If you do this, the entire batch is ruined. Usually it takes my food processor around 1o minutes of processing to reach the perfect creamy consistency. Remember to scrape down the edges when needed and even if it looks like it is going nowhere, hang in there. Suddenly it loosens up and you end up with smooth delicious almond butter!

Homemade Roasted Almond Butter

Homemade Roasted Almond Butter

Homemade Roasted Almond Butter

I am truly amazed of how versatile almonds really are. I mean, homemade almond milk and almond butter? YUM! I even made Spaghetti with “Meatballs” using the remaining almond mass after making the milk. The possibilities are endless it seems.

Oh well, enjoy your almond butter and best wishes to you!

Comments

• says

I have heard of people doing it before, but I know that I never could using my blender. Perhaps if you have a really high-speed quality blender, you might be able to make it. But be prepared for it to take a while longer, and having to scrape down the sides quite often.

If you are a vegan or make a lot of vegan recipes I would highly recommend investing the money to get a really good food processor! I have no idea how I survived so long without one myself :)

• says

I burned out my food processor trying to make butter from my dried almond pulp. All I got was super fine almond flour. What brand food processor do you have?

• Dana says

Hi ladies, I noticed your comments regarding food processors. Please, please, please look into a Thermomix – http://www.thermomix.com/en/home/. Whilst there is a considerable investment in the beginning it will soon pay for itself with everything you can do in it (including cooking). I would never be without mine and just for your info my nut butter takes 1 minute and it’s super smooth – yes, that’s 1 minute! If you would like further information, let me know

1. Mirani says

I just made this for the first time! I was so excited when I watched it turn from a fine dust to a dough and finally, a butter! It was like a really awesome science experiment!!

2. says

OMG, thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I hated throwing away the pulp from my almond milk, and now I get to have my almond milk and butter too!

3. Laura Dickason says

Hi Solveig, I’m looking into buying a good quality food processor and don’t know where to start! Do you have any advice on what to look for when choosing one? Or, can you recommend a good brand? Love your recipes! :)

4. Julia Mai says

I recently discovered your blog and I am totally in love with it, thank you! I am a vegetarian myself, but very interested in health food and the possibility of becoming vegan. I found it hard though to sometimes make a recipe healthy, like you do. So I am soooo happy that I found your blog! It is awesome! I just got myself a hand blender and made almond butter for the first time last week. I think next time I will blend it a bit longer, so it will become a bit softer, but nevertheless it was still very, very tasty!
    Thank you for your awesomeness, I wish I knew as much about healthy food when I was 17. But I guess that I am just very happy that I discover more and more about it, and I am only 19 ;). You sound like a lovely person and you definitely inspire! Your blog is a good way to relax after a day at the university, I love just browsing around on it. Please keep doing it :) I cannot wait to try more of your recipes :) and you make me want to start my own blog as well (haven’t found time for it yet.)

Love from Sydney!

5. xueli says

Hi! I loved your idea and tried to blend the almond pulp (after I dried it in the oven for 25 min). Unfortunately after 35- 40min… still nothing… I ended up with dry almond meal. Do you know what could have been the problem here?

• says

The only reason I can imagine as to why it didn’t work would be that it was still a little bit damp. Any liquid whatsoever, like for example if just cleaned the food processor and it’s not properly dried, will make it impossible! Same applies to the almond pulp; if it’s not completely dry it will not work :/

• Jodi says

I had the same result, with very dry almond pulp. I think it is due to the quality of the almond pulp. I process soaked almonds in my Blendtec blender. I believe there is more left in the pulp if the almonds are blended in a standard blender.

6. Laurie says

Solveig: It’s unbelievable to me that you are so young and so talented. Your command of English (American) is incredible–better than a lot of American kids! Am celiac, recently went vegan when an auto-immune thing surfaced, and your recipes have made it much more do-able. Thank you!

Made cashew butter for the shortbread cookies. It took a while, as you promised, kept it going until the processor complained. The butter was warm, and the oil had separated. Looks like natural peanut butter, but not as creamy as your pictures show. Still OK? And using the almond meal: there is enough oil left after making almond milk? Just throw it in the processor, no oil?

Again, a big admirer!

7. Pina says

I used the almond pulp but it did not turn into almond butter, just flour! I followed your instructions, any idea why it did not work? I put in processor for 20 minutes! I dried it in oven,etc.

8. Will says

I also tried the leftover almond meal from almond milk and it did not turn into butter. It was very dry and it just turned into flour.

9. Rachel says

I used leftovers from making almond milk – dried in the oven. 1st time wasn’t dry enough (I guess) so I put it back in until toasty golden brown and dry. 2nd time it never came together as butter after 15 mins. I added some coconut oil and it did come out more like butter but grainy and gross! :( I’m doubtful as whether this ever works, considering there must not be much oil left in the pulp after making milk. Very sad, I was excited about this one.

10. says

Yeah, this didn’t work at all and I used a Vitamix. I suspect since you make your almond milk with a food processor it doesn’t grind your almonds to a super fine pulp? Even going at it with my Vitamix (which makes plenty of nut butters from whole nuts) for 15 mins after drying with the oven cracked for hours amounted to nothing, and it doesn’t even take me that long to make nut butters usually. Its a shame, I really wanted to have another use for leftover almond meal besides just flour! Good idea though.

11. Katie says

Do you need to let the almonds cool before processing ? I was wondering if the steam from the hot almonds would cause it to not process correctly.

If you have any questions, feedback, or just want to say hi, leave it in the comment section below and I will get back to you as soon as time allows!